Today I’m going to walk you through how you can unlearn your limiting beliefs. This is called “unlearning” and it’s the process through which we break down the root cause of our thoughts, attitudes, behaviours, feelings, and biases.
BELIEFS ARE THOUGHTS WE HAVE THOUGHT IN OUR HEAD OVER AND OVER AGAIN, SO MANY TIMES THAT THEY BECOME TRUTHS.
An example of a belief is “the sky is blue”. We can all pretty much agree to that right?
That belief is not harmful and won’t stop you from getting on a plane, but what about the beliefs that do stop you from doing things you want?
COMMON LIMITING BELIEFS THAT I SEE WHEN WORKING WITH CLIENTS ARE:
- I’m not good enough
- My body is horrible
- No one cares about what I have to say
- I can’t stop binge eating
And the list goes on! To be honest, you don’t realize some of the beliefs you have are “limiting” because you just assume them to be true.
So before we get into the process, it’s important for you to understand that you don’t have to believe everything you think. You actually don’t have control over all the thoughts that enter your mind- but you do have control over the thoughts you CHOOSE to believe. And because you have that choice, you can also choose to stop believing the limiting beliefs you have about yourself.
LET’S START THE UNLEARNING PROCESS.
- Think of your big dream or goal that you have to achieve, and then write down all the reasons why you can’t achieve it. The bigger and more “unrealistic” your goal is, the easier of a time you’ll have in finding your limiting beliefs.
- Each reason why you CAN’T achieve your goal is most likely a limiting belief. Take each belief through this series of questions on paper:
- Where did this belief come from?
- Does this support my mental, emotional or physical health?
- Is this in alignment with the life I want?
- Is this congruent with my authenticity and the person I am? The person I want to become?
- Do I believe this to be true to myself?
- Take time to acknowledge where these beliefs came from and consciously decide to let them go.
- Write out your new beliefs! What do you want to believe to be true of yourself? Who do you need to become in order to accomplish your goal? These new beliefs become your Intentions (I am statements) inside of your journal.
- DO THE WORK DAILY!!! In order for you to believe this belief, you’ve got to write them out daily and say them to yourself every day in order to engrain them.
Once you do this work, I’d love to know one of your new beliefs. Share them down in the comments!
PS. If you would support and accountability to release your limiting beliefs and create a life you are proud of I can help!
Maybe you would like to let go of binge eating?
Maybe it’s to learn how to accept and love the body you have now?
Either way I can help you, let’s chat on a free call (value 220 euro!)
Click the button below: